Sunday, August 22, 2010

Moving to Alaska!!




Glacier

Glacier sliding into lake

Glacier Trails

Glacier Trails
August 2 -I flew to Anchorage!!! It was soooo exciting... I was blessed to get an exit row, window seat for the 8 hours from Atlanta to Anchorage... and then even better, I was on the right side of the plane. What does that mean? Coming across from Canada into Alaska, I had a great view of the mountains and glaciers and they were beautiful!!!! I took 25 pictures!! I arrived at 6:30 to very friendly teachers who got me settled in and then one of the district office people took us all out to eat!!!! Went to the Sourdough Mining Company -which used to be a gold mining company and now is an excellent restaurant!!

My room at University of Alaska Achorage

My View from the UAA room

I spent the week in Anchorage -staying at the University of Alaska for only$50/night -far cheaper than any other place in Anchorage during the summer. I got my drivers' license, a phone -my first phone with a plan and camera, and some food! I visited Earthquake park, where you can still see the damage from a 1964 earthquake that caused an area in Anchorage to just cave in. I also met up with a friend who happened to be in town and we went out to a great pizza place!!

On August 6th, I flew to Nome where I spent the weekend with a friend. We went berry picking and salmon fishing and four-wheeling down the beach! We also made a fire on the beach and cooked hotdogs!! It was a wonderful time!!! I boarded an airplane for Golovin on Sunday afternoon -so exciting... going to see my new home for the first time!!!!!
Hot Dogs on the Beaches of Nome!

The rough areas are literally hundreds of salmon spawning in just a foot or two of water!

AHHHH!!!   The Bering Sea is quite refreshing this time of year!!!!!
Rock from the side of a hill -mined and chopped up to build sea walls and make gravel.


Sunset over the Bering Sea

Who knew it could be this calm between the US and Russia -hahah!!!!

A walk by the Bering Sea

Successful berry picking! Salmon (Cloud), blue, and black (like currant) berries

I went berry picking with Charles!

I forgot to get a picture of the gold-mining camp on the other side... but who would've thought to see that in Nome?

Packing up for our fishing trip and ride on the beach!

The arch!!  They drag it onto the road for the mushers to cross under in March!!!

This was SOOOO fun!!!!  Though driftwood burns fast -there was plenty of it!

A salmon or cloud berry -sweet and tart at the same time!

Salmon -yum!!!!

White Alice (0n top of Anvil Mountain)- government is deciding her fate now that the Cold War is over.

 So this was taken a month after my first trip to Nome, but I thought it fit here.
Inside the big gold pan!
 Reindeer tracks on the beaches of Nome!


 I love finding these purple starfish!!









My first flight on a bush plane!!!  Golovin, here I come!!!!!

 Past Rocky Point

 This is why you have to wait until it freezes to take a snow machine or 4 wheeler to Nome!



First glimpse of my new home!!

 
I later learned that this is downtown.

No comments:

Post a Comment